All D-Day Websites: Main Site | Forums | Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2014 recap

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009

2014 recap

Couldn't make it this year and would like to hear how the game went, beaches in particular.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009

No, really, any views on how the beaches played out?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009

On Friday at Utah - German armor ruled ... no "ifs, and or buts". The Allies tried valiantly all morning until the last 4 or 5 boat reinsertions before you could see a drop-off in effort ... every time there was a reinsertion, a German tank rolled onto the beach & put a halt to the momentum the Allies built up. I admired the determination that the Allied guys showed ... after a couple passes by the tanks, they KNEW they weren't going to be able to get up the beach, but they STILL kept coming ... they earned my gunners & my respect!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Thanks, Michael! That's what I like to hear, attacker's that will not quit!
    Any one out there with a take on how Omaha or Sword went?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Buzzard & crew started off Saturday morning at Caen with two other tanks & NO INFANTRY SUPPORT!!! There just weren't enough boots on the ground to go around. We were supposed to go down to Sword to give them support, but the tree limbs were so thick that we couldn't make it down there to help. Caen was over run by the 101st at game on & we were able to dish out a lot of punishment, but without infantry support, it was a lost cause. With us not able to make it down to Sword to help out, I think Sword only lasted 30 minutes. Even if we had made it down there, we would have only put off the inevitable for a little while as the Allies had OVERWHELMING superiority in numbers. It sure was a lot of fun! We went through a TON of paint with all the targets in Caen!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Been there (Sword), crushed by that (airborne)! Still a good time.
    Do you know how the numbers stacked up as to Allies/Axis? I was a bit concerned about the "open enrollment" this year.

Anyone play Omaha beach?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Not too bad ... I'm not sure of the final numbers ... Check with Custar on that

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

According to Peggy on the FB page some time back it ended up Allied 820, Axis 605 for a total of 1425 players (of which 250 were walk on players). This is what I have written down from that post.

325th Heavy Weapons Platoon Leader
    2011 - 2015 325th AT asset
    2009 - 2015 82nd AB, 325th GIR, Sierra Co.
    2004-2008 82nd AB, 508th PIR, Easy Co. Vet

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009

That sounds about right ..

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Sounds good to me! When I first heard of OK D-Day, it was in APG magazine, 800 players. Awesome!
    Sword Beach... was there a Sword beach this year? Anyone play on it? CW, anyone...?

11. Join Date
    Jan 2009

they played sword beach can't remember what units for sure though other than the CW I know as a blackcat I started the day at pegasus bridge and then went to caen to help out later

12. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Copeland View Post
    On Friday at Utah - German armor ruled ... no "ifs, and or buts". The Allies tried valiantly all morning until the last 4 or 5 boat reinsertions before you could see a drop-off in effort ... every time there was a reinsertion, a German tank rolled onto the beach & put a halt to the momentum the Allies built up. I admired the determination that the Allied guys showed ... after a couple passes by the tanks, they KNEW they weren't going to be able to get up the beach, but they STILL kept coming ... they earned my gunners & my respect!
    We did get pinned pretty well behind the sea wall by German armor. We'd get past it once and awhile without meeting much infantry resistance but once a tank would roll by the advance was ended. Past that wall our butts were wide open, plenty of cover in front of us, nothing behind us to cover the from the tank road.
    2015- 899th TDB, Captain, Communications Officer
    2014- 899th TDB, Captain, Communications Officer, Founder of Red Beards Cove
    2013- 899th TDB, Rank? I dont need no stinking rank!
    2009-2012- 101st Airborne, 506th PIR, from Sergeant to Colonel, CO

+ Reply to Thread